As I said in my previous Monthly Goals Posts, I believe to grow a business or a life you love you need to create goals and plan how to reach them. This is my October Monthly goals plan, and the third plan I have published.
I decided to start publishing my monthly goals and updates for two reasons.
One, because doing the work is a lot harder than saying you will do the work.
And Two, sometimes it helps to see how far you have come, even if you haven’t achieved everything on your list.
As I have mentioned before, I have been transparent on this blog about how I have got the money to travel the world. Now my goal is to create an income that allows me to continue this location independent lifestyle.
How I am breaking it down.
I’ve talked in the past about being goal orientated and planning for success, and I truly believe that we can achieve anything that we want. But we have to do the work to get there.
I break down my monthly goals into Wellbeing, Minimalism, Money, Work and Travel – which are the different areas of this website.
In this post I’ll be talking about how I got on with my September Goals and my plans for October.
I truly believe that if you do the work then nothing is impossible. I wanted to put my words where my mouth is and share with you my plans, dreams and goals.
Three months in, I feel I need to step up my goals for the month.
Get the FREE Year Goal Planning spreadsheet emailed to you!
Wellbeing & Minimalism Goals:
1. Yoga Every Day. I stuck to this goal, and towards the end of the month also started posting it in my Instagram stories – this helped keep me accountable. As a result, I only had two days of really bad back pain, which is incredible for me.
2. Priorities Good Sleep & Exercise Habits. My first Apartment was next to a huge loud assembly hall and bar so I had to be moved halfway through the month. My sleep improved and wearing my fit bit definitely encouraged me to walk more rather than take the moped.
3. Daily Meditation. I aimed for twenty sessions and managed fifteen. I found if I remembered to put my phone and earphones next to the bed I would meditate, otherwise, I made an excuse. It has really helped with my sleep, and I recommend the Headspace app if you want to try (Its free).
1. Meditate every Day. I want to fully immerse myself this month and will be keeping a diary for a future blog entry.
2. 2kg Weight Loss. I have put on a bit of weight from eating out so much and it’s uncomfortable, so I want to eat healthier and move more this month to contract that. From a well-being point of view, it’s important to keep healthy and I don’t feel that great at the moment!
Work & Money Goals:
I treat both betternotstop and Stag & Raven as my work projects, so I will break this down under both.
I’m still trying to increase the amount of people I connect with through my blog. I currently have Facebook and Instagram which I post to regularly. I recently also started using Pinterest and Twitter which I have found super useful.
1. Site Redesign. I’ve updated a lot of the pages on the website like our About Me and Work with Me sections. I’ve also added in a Press Section, new categories for Blogging & Monthly Goals and put the information on the free resources I have made in the sidebar. I’ve also updated our newsletter. I submitted the website to ‘peek user testing’ which is a free service to check your website and got great feedback so I am really happy.
2. Become Active on Pinterest. I’ve been using Pinterest for a month now and haven’t yet seen any improvement to the blog page views. I’m going to give it another month to see how I get on.
3. Get a month ahead on blog posts. Despite Phil being away, I have really struggled to get everything I wanted to be done this month, partly due to bad internet and sleep – as I have been prioritising my health. However, I did manage to get up to date on this so I am really happy.
1. Create FREE Ebook ‘How to Go on an Adventure’. I get asked all the time how Phil and I have saved for this trip, so want to make an easy to follow book, covering everything from choosing where to go, saving the money, what to pack, and tips for on the road.
2. Complete Blog Posts Until End of November. Novemeber is going to be a really busy festival, organising the Music Festival and visiting Friends & Family. I want to make sure the blog doesn’t suffer as a result.
3. Connect with More Adventurers. I struggle to decide where I fit – as I blog about a location independent life as well as travel. I don’t identify as a ‘Digital Nomad’ (even the name makes me feel funny) or an ‘Adventurer’ at the moment – so what am I? I want to reach out to some people I admire to try and interview them and share their stories on the betternotstop site.
You’ll notice that none of these are based on me selling anything or making money through affiliate marketing like a lot of the blog monthly updates available online.
I want my blog to add value to my readers and show insight into how I am trying to live a creative life. Long term I would prefer to make an income through the books and courses I create for this community.
Blog Posts that were popular in September:
As Phil was away this month we had a break in ‘Road To Happiness’ blogs, with the last one being on his last few days in Vietnam.
I added some new articles on Work and Wellbeing. I was also interviewed about Tattoos for Emerald Street, and How to Relax on Holiday by a Luxury Travel Brand.
You can catch up on all the articles below!
- Monthly Goals September
- Week 24 Vietnam
- Work Tips 5 Worst Mistakes I made at Work
- Money Tips Your Finances do not control Your Happiness.
- Travel Tips Manchester’s Happiness Cafe
Stag & Raven
My best friend Kate & I run a Tattoo Art Brand Stag & Raven selling Art online. We recently collaborated with Inkluded, an Award Winning Tattoo blog and have just released a new wave of exclusive clothing.
We have grown from 6 Artists to 60 in the last two years. But I am still living on savings so the next stage is to build the brand so that I can start taking a wage.
With running Stag & Raven, Accounting, cashflow, invoicing and communicating with our sixty Artists are all part of my role. But I also need to focus on how to grow our income and our customers.
My goals focus for the last four months of 2017 is to market our business to a wider audience.
1. Create Cashflow Plan for 2017 / 2018 To create a business which not only generates a profit but also an income for Kate and I – cashflow is King. Hopefully, with the new strategies, we have in place I will be able to start taking a small wage in November. This is huge for me 🙂
2. Write a 2017 / 2018 Marketing Plan. I’ve been really busy the last few weeks creating procedures, promotions strategies and automated campaigns for the business. This now structures my workload into daily, weekly and monthly roles – making it a lot easier to manage while travelling.
1. Stick to the New Workflow! There’s no point putting systems in place if you don’t stick to them. Having Phil back, and getting used to the constant travel and inconsistency of internet connection is a worry. Hopefully, this month will allow me to adjust this to work with our trip.
2. Create & Complete New Product Range. It’s nearly Christmas so we are putting together a new product range, including a really exciting new collaboration. We will be launching in November, so all the background work needs to be completed this month.
3. Increase online sales by 50% I don’t want to share specific amounts here, as it isn’t fair on my business partner Kate. But we do need to increase our online earnings to make the business viable, and a crazy goal may be the kick up the bum I need!
This month I spent in Ho Chi Min City, working in a city co-working space and living in a Studio Apartment. This is the longest I have stayed anywhere since Denmark and it’s been so nice just to relax and not worry about packing every few days!
1. Continue to Journal every day. I kept this up and am happy to say this is now a habit, so while I will continue to do it I won’t be adding it to my goal planning articles.
2. Plan October Travel. I am flying back to the UK on the 25th October – it’s one of my best friends weddings and I am also organising a Music Festival (www.otrmcr.com). We have four weeks before that and I have planned out our time to visit the Mekong Delta, travel over the border to Cambodia by boat (a first) and then visit Angkor Wat and the Southern Islands.
1. Start Compiling our BNS Travel Guides. We are now in Cambodia, making this country thirteen since leaving the UK. Breaking down the various options of guides we can make (For specific Cities, Countries, and Experiences) we have a big job in creating and sharing these with you. However, I know it will be invaluable help for future travellers so I want to start to get these live on the website.
2. Plan UK November Trip. I’ll be in the UK for four weeks, and in that time I will be visiting Cambridge, London, Brighton, Manchester, York and Belfast. As most of you know, Travel in the UK is super expensive, so I need to book all my travel in advance to save as much money as possible.
Writing down goals and reviewing accomplishments is a great way to reflect on your progress. I didn’t manage to get everything I wanted to be done last month. However, I did progress on all my projects and it’s helped me be more realistic about what I can achieve in October.
To get to where you want to be, and to get to who you want to be…. You must do the work.
I have created an easy to use free planning spreadsheet. So you can create a plan, set your goals and turn your dreams into solid, real possibilities. So if you want please feel free to join in!
I’m interested to know what you think? Writing these posts has been a huge motivation for me so I’d love to hear your thoughts?
Looking forward to catching up with you next month on how I have got on and setting my November Goals.
Get the FREE Year Goal Planning spreadsheet emailed to you!
Also published on Medium.