As I said in my previous Monthly Goals Posts, I believe to grow a business or a life you love you need to create goals and plan how to reach them. This is my December Monthly goals plan, and the fourth plan I have published.
‘Where have you been?’ I hear you ask. ‘Where the hell where the November Monthly Goals’…
To say November was a crazy month would be an understatement.
I travelled back to the UK to put on a Music Festival, attend Explore 2017 (read my review here) catch up with friends and family and do some much-needed life admin.
It all ended up being a bit overwhelming. Being on the road for eight months with one person for company is very different from UK life.
Something I have a habit of doing when I get overwhelmed is just doing nothing.
First, the newsletter stopped, then the writing and even Instagram was ignored for a few weeks!
As I have mentioned before, I have been transparent on this blog about how I have got the money to travel the world. My goal is to create an income that allows me to continue this location independent lifestyle.
But working on a big project, plus trying to focus on Stag & Raven with my business partner while we were both in the same country led to me dropping the ball on the website.
I’m the first to admit I tend to take on too much sometimes, which is why this monthly goal planning is so important to me. I truly believe that we can achieve anything that we want.
But we have to do the work to get there.
So, I’ve refocused. Thanks for coming along for the ride!
How I am breaking it down.
I break down my monthly goals into Wellbeing, Minimalism, Money, Work and Travel – which are the different areas of this website.
In this post I’ll be talking about how I got on with my October Goals (as I missed November!) and my plans for December.
I truly believe that if you do the work then nothing is impossible. I wanted to put my words where my mouth is and share with you my plans, dreams and goals.[convertkit form=5025067]
Wellbeing & Minimalism Goals:
1. Meditate every Day. Meditation continues to be one of those things I know I should do more of, yet I don’t quite manage it – like drinking enough water.
2. 2kg Weight Loss. I actually ended up putting on weight over my time in the UK, due to lots of fun nights out and meals with friends. No regrets!
1. Physio Every Day. I’ve recently been fitted with a back brace (more to come on that later) and have been assigned a 90-minute physio schedule to work on. I’ve been advised that sticking to this new routine will really improve my back issues.
2.Meditate every Day. Phil is away the majority of December, which I’ll be spending alone in Chaing Mai so the perfect opportunity for me to start a routine I can combine with my physio. I currently pay an annual subscription to Headspace, and I want to take advantage of this.
Work & Money Goals:
betternotstop and Stag & Raven are my work projects, so I will break this down under both.
I’m still trying to increase the amount of people I connect with through my blog. I currently have Facebook and Instagram which I post to regularly. I recently also started using Pinterest and Twitter but the increase in ‘social media jobs’ seems to be too much work at the moment. As a result, I’m going to spend the majority of my time focusing on Facebook and Instagram.
1. Create FREE Ebook ‘How to Go on an Adventure’. I’m annoyed I didn’t even start this project, so I want to have this ready for Christmas.
2. Complete Blog Posts Until End of November. As I predicted, November was crazy busy, but due to poor planning the blog suffered – I really don’t want that to happen again.
3. Connect with More Adventurers. Attending Explore was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only did I meet a ton of new people, I have started to contact them to share their stories online.
1. Create that FREE Ebook ‘How to Go on an Adventure’. Well, it would be nice to get it done in time for Christmas wouldn’t it!
2. Start Adventure Interview Series. I’m not sure what to title this, but I want to share the stories of some of the people I have recently met or stumbled across online.
3. Focus on being more active on social media. I tend to scroll through instagram and facebook rather than connecting and adding value to it. I’d like to build the BNS community so I want to work on being more engaging and involved in conversations that way.
You’ll notice that none of these are based on me selling anything or making money through affiliate marketing like a lot of the blog monthly updates available online.
I want my blog to add value to my readers and show insight into how I am trying to live a creative life. Long term I would prefer to make an income through the books and courses I create for this community.
Blog Posts that were popular in October and November:
Phil was back from Prague and we spent a month travelling through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand before I returned to the UK.
We are going to have another break from the ‘Road To Happiness’ blogs – Phil is away working again in China until the 20th December so the website will be more focused on wellbeing, work and lifestyle articles.
You can catch up on all the articles below!
- Monthly Goals October
- Week 25 Nhu Trang, Saigon and the Mekong
- Week 26 Cambodia
- Week 27 Cambodia & Thailand
- Travel Tips The Only 10 Adventure Websites you will ever need!
- Work Tips 5 Worst Mistakes I made at Work
- Money Tips Your Finances do not control Your Happiness.
Stag & Raven
My best friend Kate & I run a Tattoo Art Brand Stag & Raven selling Art online. This may seem a bit weird to all you Adventurers out there – but creativity comes in many forms, and I love the fact I can challenge myself in different ways.
With running Stag & Raven, Accounting, cashflow, invoicing and communicating with our sixty Artists are all part of my role. But I also need to focus on how to grow our income and our customers.
My goals focus for the last few months of 2017 is to market our business to a wider audience.
1. Stick to the New Workflow! Catching up with Kate in the UK was super helpful in refocusing our business. The plan has changed yet again!
2. Create & Complete New Product Range. We decided to focus on promoting our existing products, and push back the launch to the new year. I’ve found constantly re-evaluating what is possible is important, and remebering its ok to change plans.
3. Increase online sales by 50% The online world of e-commerce continues to challenge me, and while I have increased online sales I still have a long way to go till we hit our goals.
1. Setting realistic 2018 Goals. Full-time travel, writing a blog and running two businesses can make you feel that you are constantly on the back foot. Stag & Raven needs to grow to survive in 2018, so some serious planning into what we can do is on the cards.
I’ve only just arrived back in Asia, and Phil is already going away for over a fortnight to work in China. This has meant me finding another new base – and I’ve chosen Chiang Mai, a city in the North of Thailand. I’ll be staying there from the 4th – 20th before we continue our trip to Bhutan.
1. Start Compiling our BNS Travel Guides. Breaking down the various options of guides we can make (For specific Cities, Countries, and Experiences) we have a big job in creating and sharing these with you for the fourteen countries we have visited on this trip. I know it will be invaluable help for future travellers so I want to start to get these live on the website. I din’t manage to start this – but it doesn’t stop this being a focus for 2018.
2. Plan UK November Trip. I was in the UK for four weeks, and in that time I visited Cambridge, London, Brighton, Manchester, York and Belfast. I planned this in advance and managed to save myself a ton of money on travel. Very glad I hit this goal!
1. Start Compiling and publish 2018 BNS Travel Plans. Phil and I expect to be in India for Christmas, meaning the Road To Happiness Trip will soon be over. What we plan to do in 2018 is still up in the air, but I know it’s important financially to work out a rough plan for next year. I also want to share some ideas I have on the website and colloborate with some of the other Adventurers I have met this year.
Writing down goals and reviewing accomplishments is a great way to reflect on your progress. I didn’t manage to get everything I wanted to be done the last few months. However, I did progress on all my projects and it’s helped me be more realistic about what I can achieve for the rest of the year.
To get to where you want to be, and to get to who you want to be…. You must do the work.
I have created an easy to use free planning spreadsheet. So you can create a plan, set your goals and turn your dreams into solid, real possibilities. So if you want please feel free to join in!
I’m interested to know what you think? Writing these posts has been a huge motivation for me so I’d love to hear your thoughts?
Looking forward to catching up with you next month on how I have got on and setting my 2018 Goals.
Also published on Medium.