As I said in my August Monthly Goals Post, I believe to grow a business or a life you love you need to create goals and plan how to reach them. This is my September goal plan.
I decided to start publishing my monthly goals and updates for two reasons.
One, because doing the work is a lot harder then saying you will do the work.
And Two, sometimes it helps to see how far you have come, even if you haven’t achieved everything on your list.
As I have mentioned before, I have been transparent on this blog about how I have got the money to travel the world. Now my goal is to create an income that allows me to continue this location independent lifestyle.
How I am breaking it down.
I’ve talked in the past about being goal orientated and planning for success, and I truly believe that we can achieve anything that we want. But we have to do the work to get there.
I break down my monthly goals into Wellbeing, Minimalism, Money, Work and Travel – which are the different areas of this website.
In this post I’ll be talking about how I got on with my August Goals and my plans for September.
I truly believe that if you do the work then nothing is impossible. I wanted to put my words where my mouth is and share with you my plans, dreams and goals.
Wellbeing & Minimalism Goals:
1. Yoga Every Day. I did manage to do some basic stretches everyday, but to be honest I could have done a lot better. My back pain was quite bad last month, I had weekly massages which helped, but I know I can do better this month.
2. Only drink once a week. I did extremely well considering how much free alcohol is thrown at you in Vietnam. We had 3 X Nights ‘Out’ (one was cut short due to an emergency so I allowed myself a do-over) and three nights with a two drink max. I definitely noticed the difference in my energy levels so this month
3. Stop looking at my phone when I wake up. This was one of the best decisions I made and I plan to keep this up. Giving myself time to slowly wake up and plan my day around my priorities, rather then my phones has really helped slow me down. If you want to try something similar – I suggest plugging in your phone in a different room. If you use your phone as an alarm have it out of reach for you in bed. I’m definitely going to stick to this one.
4. Daily Meditation. I was terrible at this. A combination of being ill for two weeks so just getting out of bed was a struggle. If I didn’t meditate straight away I didn’t do it at all. I think I managed around five sessions through the month. Pretty disappointed with myself!
1. Yoga Every Day. I want to improve – 20 minutes every day when I wake up is this months goal.
2. Priorities Good Sleep & Exercise Habits. I’ve got out of the habit of wearing my fit bit which was measuring my daily activity and sleep patterns, mostly because of how hot I was in China. However It’s charged up and I want to see how I get on this month so I can post some goals for next.
3. Daily Meditation. Considering how terrible I was last month – I’m aiming to get a more realistic twenty sessions of meditation done this month. I’ve read so many successful people talk about how meditation has changed their lives so I want to give it another go!
Work & Money Goals:
I treat both betternotstop and Stag & Raven as my work projects, so I will break this down under both.
I’d really like to increase the amount of people I connect with through my blog. I currently have Facebook and Instagram which I post to regularly. I recently also started using Pinterest and Twitter which I have found super useful.
1. Schedule Facebook and add content regularly (338 Fans). I scheduled new content every week, and I managed to increase our fans to 349. You can follow me here.
2. Create Pins for all Articles on Pinterest. I did this! This month my aim is to use pinterest and if I find it helpful (and fun!) I’ll let you know. You can follow me here.
3. Get 1 month ahead on blog posts. Phil’s weekly trip updates all went out on time, but due to my sickness and workload I was unable to post this month.
4. Publish all our Articles on Medium. I set up a Medium account and went through all my articles and edited them to suit the platform. I’ve not noticed any increase to my blog traffic, but I think I need to be more active on the site.
5. Site Redesign. This didn’t happen so it’s on the list for this month.
1. Site Redesign. First on the list!
2. Become Active on Pinterest. I have started to use an application called Tailwind to help schedule pins, which also schedules Instagram. Lots of bloggers say this platform is good to increase your readers, and as I’d like to reach more people with my writing, this would be great!
3. Get a month ahead on blog posts. Phil is away for nearly two weeks this month and I plan to make up for lost time and smash out some good quality information! I want to be realistic as I have a lot of S&R work to do.
You’ll notice that none of these are based on me selling anything or making money through affiliate marketing like a lot of the monthly updates available online.
I want my blog to add value to my readers and show insight into how I am trying to live a creative life. Long term I hope to make an income through the books and courses I create for this community.
Blog Posts that were popular in August:
We travelled through China and Vietnam this month.Phil updated these on the blog, and the articles scheduled on facebook got a lot of new traffic to the site.
You can catch up on all the articles below!
- Monthly Goals August
- Week 20 Chasing China
- Week 21 Big Trouble in Little China
- Week 22 Nanning to ‘Nam
- Week 23 Hanoi to Hoi An
- Work Tips Ten Reasons you Should Quit your Job
- Travel Tips 5 Things I’ve learnt from 100 days non stop travel
Stag & Raven
My best friend Kate & I run a Tattoo Art Brand Stag & Raven selling Art online. We recently collaborated with Inkluded, an Award Winning Tattoo blog and have just released a new wave of exclusive clothing.
We have grown from 6 Artists to 60 in the last two years. But I am still living on savings so the next stage is to build the brand so that I can start taking a wage.
With running Stag & Raven, Accounting, cashflow, invoicing and communicating with our sixty Artists are all part of my role. But I also need to focus on how to grow our income and our customers.
My goals focus for the last four months of 2017 is to market our business to a wider audience.
As well as the below – I also spent three days building a better website for Stag & Raven.
1. Create Pins for all Collections on Pinterest. I made pinnable images for all the collections on the website so that our Art is easily shared on pinterest. You can follow me here.
2. Work with 10 new Influencers. I reached out on two occasions in online Facebook groups, and we had three influencers work with us last month. It was harder to organise because of the Internet ban in China then I expected.
3. Update Accounts and create year end cashflow plan. A necessary evil as part of my job, I did the accounts but decided to leave cashflow to this month (I’ll explain why below).
1. Create Cashflow Plan for 2017 / 2018 To create a business which not only generates a profit, but also an income for Kate and I – cashflow is King. Creating a plan of what we expect to spend and make in the next 18 months will be key in making sure our business grows in a sustainable manner.
2. Write a 2017 / 2018 Marketing Plan. Reaching our to bloggers and using pinterest are ‘tactics’ but I think Kate & I need a more structured strategy in how to promote our business – including influencer marketing, social media advertising, affiliates, new sales platforms and more. Its a huge job but is vital to grow our brand and create some structure to my work schedule.
This month I am travelling to South Vietnam, and then spending the rest of the month in an apartment in Saigon. Phil is working away so I am actually looking forward to being in the same spot for a while!
1. Walk the Great Wall of China. We had planned to do this the day after I was in Hospital. Unfortunately our onward travel was booked so I missed out 🙁 Phil is back in China for work in 2018 so I hope he gets to see it then.
2. Have a spa day. Massages are super cheap out here and I managed to fit in three last month!
3. Try new dishes. China did blow my mind. We were served chicken feet curry (!!) I did try a few new dishes, spicy noodles and dim sum are new favourites.
4. Journal every day. This has been such a great asset to me – I have really enjoyed jotting down notes on the trip.
1. Continue to Journal every day. This is a great way for me to make sure I have all the information I need to write my book at the end of the year and something I really enjoy!
2. Plan October Travel. I am flying back to the UK on the 25th October – it’s one of my best friends weddings and I am also organising a Music Festival (www.otrmcr.com). Leaving from Bangkok so when Phil gets back we only have four weeks to travel South Vietnam & Cambodia. I want to make sure we make the most of our time!
So what next?
Phew, that was a long old post wasn’t it! Thanks for making your way through it and getting to the end.
Writing down goals and reviewing accomplishments is a great way to reflect on your progress. I didn’t manage to get everything I wanted done last month. However, I did progress on all my projects and it’s helped me be more realistic about what I can achieve in September.
To get to where you want to be, and to get to who you want to be…. You must do the work.
I have created an easy to use free planning spreadsheet. So you can create a plan, set your goals and turn your dreams into solid, real possibilities. So if you want please feel free to join in!
I’m interested to know what you think? Writing these posts has been a huge motivation for me so I’d love to hear your thoughts?
Looking forward to catching up with you next month on how I have got on and setting my October Goals.
Also published on Medium.